Our Guidelines on the Acceptance or Refusal of Donations can be read in full in the following document Guidelines for the Acceptance or Refusal of Donations. However, to summarise:
- We cannot accept funds where this might raise question marks about the independence of Alcohol Research UK or the research that we support
- We cannot accept funds where this might cause significant numbers of other supporters to reject us
What this means in practice is that:
- All larger donations that are not made anonymously will be scrutinised before we can accept them
- We cannot accept money at all from the alcohol or tobacco industries, or anyone who works within them. This includes businesses who make a significant amount of money from the retail of alcohol or tobacco
- Funders or donors who wish to make larger donations and attach conditions to them (e.g. to ask us to fund particular areas of work) will normally be asked to meet with us to talk about their requirements and to complete a Relationship Assessment Tool before we go ahead.